Clicking on the above image will take you to my Etsy shop. Please take a look! :)

Sunday, September 12, 2010

My Husband's Top 5 Dinner Choices, Part 1

Being that I was married less than 2 years ago, I still consider myself to be in the "experimental" phase of cooking. I didn't do much cooking at all until we got our own place and even then I was hesitant. Recently, I've made it a point to try new recipes at least a few times a month. 

I usually gauge my success for a meal based on my husband's first bite. It's the way his eyes open wide as soon as his taste buds send the message to his brain that it is pure deliciousness-or lack there of. This Creamy Beef Lasagna is a keeper and a constant go-to in our dinner repertoire!  It's all but painful not to lick the bowls clean of both the cheese mixture and sauce (Go ahead! Personally I like to try both together-IRRESISTIBLE!) Of course, I'm going to give you the recipe because how mean would it be to just talk about it and provide a picture? I didn't promise it is healthy. However, I added notes next to items that can be altered to make it more health conscious. Please know, however, that I have not used any of them except for the swap between ground beef and ground turkey.

______________________________________________________________

Creamy Beef Lasagna (Recipe Courtesy of Taste of Home's Pasta Cookbook)

1.5 lbs of ground beef (Want less fat? I've substituted ground turkey before and you can't taste a difference.)
2 cans (15 oz.) each tomato sauce
1/4 c. chopped onions
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
2 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened (Want to save calories? Try Neufachatel cheese.)
1 c. (8 oz.) sour cream (Want to save even more calories? Use low-fat or FF sour cream.)
1/4 c. milk (I've used both 1% and 2%. No taste difference.)
18 lasagna noodles (cooked and drained)
1 c. (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.  Stir in tomato sauce, onion, sugar, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic salt. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream, and milk until smooth.

In a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish, layer a fourth of the meat sauce, six noodles, and a third of the cream cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining meat sauce.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting.

______________________________________________________________

Sure, it makes a lot for 2 people but we end up getting 2 dinners and 2 lunches out of it. :) Not a budget buster at all! It would be great if we had another couple, or two, or 3-heck make it 4 over for dinner. However, I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I can cook at least semi-good enough to invite people over to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment