Clicking on the above image will take you to my Etsy shop. Please take a look! :)

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

NOT out with the old BUT in with the new too!...kind of...

It's done! The week of new recipes has come and gone. I would have posted sooner but I was fighting a cold last week and it definitely took home a victory. The verdict? Eh... I think there's a reason why I keep going back to our favorites...they're OUR favorites! 

That being said, there are definitely a few recipes that we WILL be making again and two that I believe will make our "rotation". (Why the quotations? They're there because we don't really have a rotation-just a list of favorites.) After writing this, I think that I enjoyed parts of every recipe and with just a few changes they could be even more delicious.

Apple Cider Donuts with Hot Apple Cider
 Greg LOVES these! I used double the amount of cider that it asked for but still reduced it to the amount noted on the recipe. The dough was a little soft so we definitely had to be careful when we were frying them. These were great warm but even better the next day believe it or not! Definitely the right choice for a great "Fall" treat!

Lettuce Wraps with Roasted Pork
 For this meal, I used the leftover pork and coleslaw. It was such a simple meal to make but the presentation is so fun! These were delicious. I wasn't a fan of the BBQ sauce so I had mine without but Greg really enjoyed the sauce on his. Yum!

Carrot & Pineapple Muffins
 Yes, they're frosted but I promise you the recipe says muffins! These had freshly grated carrot, crushed pineapple and raisins. Talk about healthy! The frosting is made with neufachatel cheese (lowfat cream cheese), milk, and half of a vanilla bean (which I just happened to have lying around). I made them mini-sized so they are the perfect pop in your mouth snack and you don't have to feel THAT guilty if you eat one...or three. 

Sundried Tomato & Mozzarella Panini and Creamed Asparagus Soup
 To be honest, I wasn't "wowed" by this meal! I didn't like the soup very much because it had too much onion taste for my liking but Greg enjoyed it. The panini was good but I decided that I don't like the Asiago Cheese bread from Panera. I didn't do the greatest job on the sundried tomato spread, either. I just winged it. Oh well, you can't be perfect ALL the time! 

Baked Mostaccoli with Meatballs and Garlic Bread
 I made this with Whole Wheat Pasta and Ground Turkey to be more healthy. Honestly my favorite part of the meal was the garlic bread that I made with fresh French bread and shaved Parmesan cheese! I didn't like the sauce I made and I think I'll stick with the jar except when making Greg's favorite lasagna. The leftovers were better which is odd. Something to make you go hmm...I guess.

Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Homemade Coleslaw
The slow-roasted pork was definitely the best part. I didn't like the BBQ sauce. It was homemade and the recipe called for lots of vinegar which I thought I would like because I love tangy dressings. I was wrong. The coleslaw was decent. I will definitely make this again but I'll use BBQ sauce out of the jar and coleslaw from the deli. 

I never ended up making the Smothered Chicken Breast with Broccolini. I tried to make it last night but the Broccolini just wasn't good so I threw it away and made baked potatoes instead. I hate being wasteful but I know if I didn't like it Greg definitely wouldn't like it! 

...I don't have a picture of our favorite thing for the week...We made the most delicious Garlicky Ginger Beef Stir-Fry. It was a Weight Watchers recipe, too! Go figure. I should have known it was going to be delicious. We have fallen in love with a Buffalo Chicken Strip recipe from a Weight Watchers Cook Book, too. (It fills our craving for Buffalo Wild Wings with only a fraction of the calories/fat. I even created some killer potato wedges to go with it.) I can't wait to make it again!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you didn't like the asiago cheese bread! that's my fav! Using the whole wheat pasta and turkey were a good choice. I've noticed most of the time you can't even tell the difference between beef and turkey. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm disappointed that I don't like the bread either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should also try substituting ground bison instead of ground beef. It is way healthier, tastes better and isn't as dry as turkey.

    ReplyDelete